Friday 5 April 2013

Donation Quilt Finished and posted

I began this quilt in January for Aussie Hero Quilts

http://aussieheroquilts.blogspot.com.au/

It's an organisation who send quilts to Australian service men and women who are on a tour of duty overseas. Lots of the pictures they send back are from very desolate places, and so the people who make these quilts aim to bring a bit of colour and comfort to the lives of the men and women while they deal with some pretty stressful conditions.

I was going for a green and gold look. Just about everyone who saw it said it look a bit feminine to be going to a soldier. But luckily it went to a lady captain in the Navy.
I hope she likes it. I was trying my hand at the braid block (or strip I suppose) and I do like how it turned out, but I'm not sure I'll do much of it in the future as it is a little time intensive and you have lots of off cuts (which I suppose you could use in a scrap quilt, but I don't make many of those either).
 
It's quilted with a spiral pattern that in places looks like wave, appropriate for the recipient.
 
I will be making some more of these donation quilts - in between paid projects like this one was. If you want to try making one, head over to the site and check it out. Thousands of quilts have already gone out, but requests for more come in all the time.
 
Jennidee

No comments:

Post a Comment