Friday 19 September 2014

Handi Quilter Warning

I'm writing to you to tell you of something stupid I did in the hope that other Handi Quilters see it and I can let them know what NOT to do.

I ran out of bobbin. I had cleaned the bobbin cavity and squirted in some oil. I wanted to work it through the bobbin housing a bit so I unthreaded the needle and ran the machine on precision with nothing under it for a few seconds. All fine. The mistake came when I FORGOT to turn the precision off and started to thread the needle.

I had my left hand right next to the needle assembly ready to receive the thread I was feeding through the top hole in the assembly. But I bumped the machine forward and it started the needle going up and down, trapping my first finger of my left hand between the needle assembly and the spring. The machine sensed a needle strike and froze in place, my finger still trapped. I screamed out for help and my daughter and son were in the house. But I wasn't thinking clearly. I told them to turn the machine off, which of course kept my finger trapped. So I screamed at them to turn it back on and I started to press buttons.

Thankfully when I hit the needle up button after a few times the needle let go and my finger was free.
The only damage I got was a chunk out of my finger, a tiny bit of bruising and a very diminished ego. The machine (thank GOD) has no damage.

I read the manual this morning and it clearly says
• Keep fingers away from all moving parts. Special care is required around the machine needle.
• Switch the machine to the symbol “O” position to turn it off when making any adjustments in the needle 
area, such as threading needle, changing needle, threading bobbin, or changing presser foot, and the like.

so it is no fault of the manufacturers. I just had a lapse of concentration.

Just remember, this is a commercial machine and industrial accidents can occur. PAY ATTENTION when using it.

I haven't been afraid of sewing machines since I was a little girl, and I'm not about to start now. But I will be very careful around it from now on!!!

If you know someone who uses a Handi Quilter, or even another type of long arm , please pass this on.

Thanks for reading. Stay safe while sewing.
Jennidee

3 comments:

  1. oh Jenni glad you are okay,what a fright.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was. And it gave my poor daughter quite the scare too. She was the one who ran around trying to help me free myself.

      Delete
  2. How frightening!!! My sewing machine has a lock button that makes it easy to lock before doing anything around the needle, this is a good reminder to always use it.

    ReplyDelete